October 3, 2022
There isn’t a single homeowner in Western NY who needs any reminders on how brutally cold it can get in our area each winter. Clearly, one of the worst things that can happen when the temperature plummets is discovering that your home’s furnace has failed. It never happens at a convenient time and, depending on how many others are dealing with the same issue, many homeowners are left waiting hours or days for service.
Knowing how to prepare your furnace for winter is the best way to avoid the unthinkable, second only to knowing who to contact when it decides to stop working.
Here at Napora, we’ve seen too many furnace failure scenarios that could have likely been prevented had the homeowner taken some time to make sure that it was prepared to handle anything Mother Nature decided to dish out. Here are just a few things to keep in mind when preparing your furnace for a long Western NY winter:
- Regularly inspect your furnace to identify anything that doesn’t look right
- If you have an older furnace, be sure to have it inspected and tuned up annually
- Replace your furnace filter every 1-3 months depending on age and usage
- When something goes wrong, work only with an experienced HVAC company
- Don’t ignore seemingly mundane noises, smells, or performance issues
- Know in advance who to call in case you need emergency furnace repairs
Having your furnace break at any time during the winter is bad, but few things are as scary as having it fail during a frigid cold spell, late at night, or over the weekend. Keep up with the routine maintenance needed to keep it functioning properly, schedule an annual inspection, and always know who to call should the worst actually happen. For more information or to schedule service, feel free to reach out to the HVAC experts here at Napora and we’ll do our best to help.
Napora Heating and Cooling is based in Webster, NY and proudly serves the needs of homeowners throughout Rochester and the entire Western NY region. We can be reached by phone at 585-472-1164 day or night, or write to us via email through our contact page.